Friday, 7 October 2011

THOUGHTS FOR TODAY

Some ideas and rough aims I took away from today's session:
  • Investigate the relationship and tension between digital and traditional media in the current climate.
  • Relate the combining of digital and traditional media to my own illustrative practice, and address what I feel is a lack of synergy between them - the presence of two distinct halves - in my current method.
  • Consider what the rise of digital media may mean for the future of illustration (i.e. book illustration) and how this may affect my future as a practitioner.
My practical aims are ultimately to advance my capacity to work with mixed media (in this case, drawing on paper versus in Photoshop). I enjoy and value both and feel I have some moderate proficiency in both, but have difficulty bringing the two together, which seems like an opportunity lost and results in two very separate methods that I feel bear little resemblance to each other. For my own creative peace of mind, and to better establish for myself my identity as an illustrator, I hope to find a compromise wherein my use of the two combined is seamless and complementary rather than an afterthought or something to be avoided.

With regards to this module and its outcomes, I hope to find a less inwards-looking justification for the above ends - possibly something to do with how book illustration (pertinent to my interests and future aspirations) is or may be affected by the proliferation of digital media. Maybe both of these subjects will be too much to address in the given time - and at the same time - but I would ideally like them to work together as both a personal and cultural/professional discussion on the digital versus traditional theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment